Featured Resources for Winter 2022
Last updated: January 28, 2022
Navigating COVID-related disruptions
At times during the semester, flexibility in your instruction may be required due to policies and guidelines related to COVID-19. This may take the form of synchronous and/or asynchronous online components for students, teaching with a mask, or a temporary shift to remote instruction in order to maintain instructional continuity.
- New - Addressing Informal Accommodation Requests
- Updated -Teaching with a Mask
- Preparing for Remote Instruction
- Flexible Instruction
- Alternatives to Lecturing (with examples)
- Assessments: Balancing learning, feedback & workload
- Using Brightspace to Maintain Teaching and Learning Continuity
- Creating Community in Your Course Site
- Communicating in the Online Environment
Recycling material from remote courses or previous offerings
Over many months, instructors developed course materials using alternative methods that remain valuable to instruction and can be re-used.
- Copy Components from another Brightspace site
- Self-Service Video Hosting
- Recording Lectures: Protecting Privacy
Reviewing Assessment Strategies
Some students will require alternative forms of assessments due to policies and guidelines related to COVD-19. There are some important considerations in creating alternatives to achieve learning outcomes.
- Assessment Strategies: Considerations for remote instruction
- Assessment Guides: Quiz tool, Assignments, Student Presentations
- Creating personal and flexible learning opportunities
Using the course syllabus to set student expectations
A course syllabus is a critical document for setting expectations for students registered in a course. Memorial University established a working group to identify statements and strategies that you can incorporate into your syllabus to help address some of the exceptional cases you may experience while teaching this semester.
Managing the workload
Managing workload is key to a successful semester and better learning for all. Having a complementary Brightspace site is an effective way to manage communication with students, accept assigned work, create a community amongst students and share relevant content and learning material.
Other services to help:
- Classroom Support
- Winter 2022 Instructor Series
- Academic Support Representatives (ASRs)
- Teaching and Learning Exchange (TLX)
- Learning Technology Coaches
For your Students
While the Academic Success Centre is available to guide students, here are some resources that you can share to help them have a smooth semester.
Managing time effectively and efficiently is a key component of academic success. Some tactics students can use to stay on top of their work include reviewing course syllabi to make note of important dates and deadlines on a central calendar, creating a weekly schedule, and using prioritized task lists.
Developing a routine
As students adjust to a new schedule, creating a routine that includes scheduled classes, study time, and regular breaks can help them to succeed. Also trying different study spaces and strategies can help them discover how they learn best, both on and off-campus.
Students are never alone at Memorial. They can stay connected by asking instructors for help during office hours or forming a study group with classmates. There are many resources available to help students succeed – in the classroom and beyond.
Learning with Brightspace
Whether students are on campus or online, Brightspace is an easy way to share content or communicate important information. There are many technical resources for students to help them with Brightspace and other learning technologies, depending on your instructional strategies and the tools you use in your course.
From assignments to presentations to exams, students may be faced with different assessments in each of their courses. To help students effectively prepare, they can learn more about how to plan their time and break down assignments and study materials into smaller, more manageable chunks.
- Exam strategies
- Brightspace guide: Preparing for an online quiz
- Brightspace guide: Submitting an assignment
Other resources to help students: