Teaching Skills Enhancement Program (TSEP) for Educators
Teaching is a central part of our university’s mandate. Memorial University is committed to providing opportunities for the professional development of its educators. The Teaching Skills Enhancement Program (TSEP) is designed to provide an introduction to teaching at the undergraduate level.
The TSEP is a 12-week program that enhances the knowledge of teaching and learning among faculty members, contractual instructors, postdoctoral fellows, instructional staff and per course instructors. A key emphasis of the program is to create a community of practice among all educators at Memorial. The Centre for Innovation in Teaching and Learning (CITL) is the sponsor the TSEP.
The program is intended to help you learn pedagogical knowledge and basic teaching techniques that you can apply in the classroom. The TSEP is delivered using a variety of online and face-to-face methods. As a participant, you will take part in twelve weekly seminars using program content that is available in a Brightspace site, and you will also produce an online reflective learning portfolio.
Specific goals of the program include:
- Foster student and educator engagement through effective teaching
- Build confidence and capacity in teaching abilities
- Introduce theories related to adult learning and teaching in higher education and how they can benefit your teaching
- Stimulate dialogue within a community of other educators, and foster individual reflection about student engagement and effective teaching
- Provide support for participants as they undertake their teaching activities
- Provide opportunities to develop teaching skills
- Familiarize educators with the challenges and rewards of teaching
There will be two cohorts for the 2018 - 2019 academic year
TSEP Face-to-Face (Fall 2018) – Open to St. John’s and MI campus educators. These sessions will be offered as blended learning, face-to-face synchronous sessions 1 ½ hours per week over 12 weeks. Seminars are scheduled for Tuesdays from 12 – 1:30 p.m., starting September 11, 2018 and will take place in CITL’s Teaching & Learning Exchange (ED1001), GA Hickman Building (Education).
TSEP Online (Winter 2019) – Open to educators on Grenfell campus and to others participating at a distance. These session will be offered as blended learning, online synchronous sessions 1 ½ hours per week over 12 weeks. The start date is TBD.
Please include the following:
• Phone number
• Email address (firstname.lastname@example.org)
• Brightspace (D2L) Username
• Affiliation with the university
The TSEP is free and participants will receive a certificate of completion upon successfully finishing the program.
We welcome participation from faculty members, contractual instructors, postdoctoral fellows, instructional staff and per course instructors.
For further information, please contact Jennifer Moran at (709) 864-3028.