Program in Graduate Student Supervision
Memorial University has expanded its Program in Graduate Student Supervision (PGSS), so that educators across Canada can take advantage of this unique offering. The program provides educators with an introduction to important aspects of graduate student supervision
Related article: Reimagining graduate student supervision, University Affairs, Mar. 8, 2018.
Please check back soon for the next program start date.
If you are interested in the expanded program and would like to receive more information, please complete the form below.
The relationship between student and supervisor is one of the most important factors influencing graduate student retention, persistence and graduate outcomes. The purpose of this program is to review the literature on graduate student supervision and to help you reflect on your practice as a graduate supervisor.
Specifically, this inter-disciplinary program will support educators across Canada on effective graduate supervision in hopes of better supporting graduate students, reducing time-to-completion rates and program attrition, and increasing optimal student outcomes.
This program aims to better prepare you for supervision by:
- Reviewing influential supervisory frameworks
- Highlighting specific indicators of effective supervisors
- Providing supervision recommendations for distinct graduate student populations (i.e., cross-cultural students), and
- Providing resources for effective supervision practices.
Topics investigated in the program include:
- Models of Supervison
- The Supervisory Relationship
- Attributes of Effective Supervision
- Cross-cultural Supervision
The content is divided into three investigations that facilitate participants' interaction with the content. Each investigation includes two to three modules of content, which offers notes on various concepts in graduate supervision and provides a list of suggested readings.
Investigation 1: Models of Supervision and the Developmental Approach
- Module 1 - Introduction
- Module 2 - Models of Supervision
- Module 3 - Developmental Approach to Supervision
Investigation 2: The Supervisory Relationship and Attributes of Effective Supervision
- Module 4 - The Supervisory Relationship
- Module 5 - Attributes of Effective Supervision
Investigation 3: Cross-cultural Supervision and Conclusions
- Module 6 - Cross-cultural Supervision
- Module 7 - Conclusions and Recommendations
The program will be offered over a period of nine weeks in a selection of delivery models to suit your needs, including:
- Fully online
- Online + St. John's campus component
- Faculty mentor travels to other Canadian universities*
- Online + Harlow campus residency component
*The timeline for this delivery model will differ and be determined in consultation with the host university partner.
If you are interested in Memorial's Program in Graduate Student Supervision and would like to receive program and registration details as they are confirmed, please complete the following form.
Centre for Innovation in Teaching and Learning
230 Elizabeth Ave, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1B 3X9
Postal Address: P.O. Box 4200, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1C 5S7
Tel: (709) 864-8000